Cape Morgan Nature Reserve
The Cape Morgan Nature Reserve is part of the larger East London Coast Nature Reserve group, which is some 3,424ha in extent and consists of ten coastal reserves and two inland State Forests. The coastal reserves are located between the Great Kei River in the north-east and the Tylomnqa Rivers in the south-west. The ten coastal nature reserves include (from north-east to south-west) Cape Morgan, Double Mouth, Cape Henderson, Chintsa West, Kwelera, Nahoon, Cove Rock/ Gulu, Kidd's Beach, Kayser's Beach and Chalumna. These reserves represent 57% of the 250km coastline between the two rivers. The State Forests, Umtiza Forest and Fort Pato Forest, are located inland approximately 14km and 25km north of East London along the northern banks of the Buffalo River.
The Cape Morgan lighthouse lies within the reserve and peeks out above the trees of the indigenous forest that lines the beach. The ruins of the old Titanium mine, started by Trev Miller in 1958, lie within the reserve and can be accessed from the Kei Mouth Golf Course road, where a new Eco Centre has was recently built to accommodate large school groups. One of the old mine buildings housed, until recently, the tallest indoor termite mound in the world. Though sadly this is no more...